Job Posting: Organizer
The Green Workers Alliance (GWA) is a project of PowerSwitch Action. We are organizing solar installers and wind turbine technicians nationally using an online-to-offline model as we campaign to dramatically raise job standards in the field and increase investment in the green sector. We are organizing workers for more and better green jobs, building an organization with multiracial member leadership, and elevating workers voices in some of the most critical climate fights. Our work will help win economic justice, combat climate change, and achieve a just transition from fossil fuels.
We are beginning ground operations in Virginia, where we will be organizing solar installers, particularly in rooftop solar, and working with labor, community and environmental allies on a comprehensive campaign targeting end-users of renewable energy projects.
We are seeking an organizer in Virginia to work on both field and online organizing and help us develop our end-user campaign in coalition with a diverse set of allies.
The organizer will help drive our efforts in Virginia to build a membership base, develop leadership, and ensure that member voices are leading on our decision making and campaign work. The organizer will also work closely with GWA’s executive director on building a coalition of groups in the state to support our end-user campaign.
The organizer will engage in outreach to green workers (particularly in rooftop solar) and those who aspire to work in the field. One week the organizer could be at a solar installation worksite talking with workers and in another week, those workers could be attending a shareholders meeting, or engaged in direct action against mega-utility companies. Responsibilities include:
· Solicit membership through a combination of on-line and workplace and home visits.
· Mobilize, turn out and engage membership
· Develop organizing skills of members.
· Identify, recruit, train and develop leaders.
· Working with the executive director, build coalitions with Virginia community, labor and environmental organizations.
· Develop various communication systems to effectively reach members and workers in the field.
· Help scale up the digital organizing strategy.
· Help co-create the internal participatory membership engagement processes
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· At least two years of experience in field organizing
· Spanish fluency strongly preferred
· Campaign planning experience, both labor and community side
· Experience working through a racial equity lens
· Ability to both think creatively and implement effectively.
· Work effectively in team settings, as well as independently.
· Effectively prioritize and multi-task assignments and responsibilities.
· Willingness to work long and irregular hours, often including nights and weekends.
· Willingness to travel.
· Must possess a valid driver’s license, auto insurance that covers business driving, and an automobile for business use.
Compensation and Location
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive starting salary at $62,400 to $75,000 (depending on experience) and generous benefits, including covering full health benefit premiums (health, dental and vision) and a 401k plan with an employer contribution
The position will be based in northern Virginia with extensive travel to other parts of the state and occasional travel to other parts of the country.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and a list of 3-4 professional references including at least one supervisor. Send all application materials to email@example.com and include “Organizer Position” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
PowerSwitch Action is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women and gender non-binary people, people of color including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender/gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status.